Dreamhost with Gmail and Google AppsWritten by Mark Sanborn: Jun 6, 2008
- Log into your Web Panel and visit the “Domains > Manage Domains” section
- Click on “Edit” button under “Web hosting” for the domain you wish to use with this service
- Under the “Fully Hosted” section, click the checkbox next to the GMail
- Then, click on the “Change fully hosted settings now!” button
- You will be redirected back to the “Domains > Manage Domains” page, where a greeen “Success!” message will appear. An email will be sent with information on setting up the rest from Google’s Side.
Since it takes time (few hours) for the MX records to change you might want to do this during non production hours to minimize lost emails.
Why is this cool?
Because now you can have your own @domain.com that runs through the gmail interface. Which means you get all the great spam protection, search and web interface. Since Gmail can be connected to via IMAP, any client can connect to it. This means that for your @company.com email addresses that get loads of spam you can switch to gmail servers and have them deal with it. If the end user is using a program like outlook, mutt, or a CRM program they wont even notice a difference in the way they check email. The only difference will be less spam.
Need to print shipping labels on your site?
Checkout my product RocketShipIt for simple easy-to-use developer tools for UPS™ FedEx™ USPS™ and more.